Leaving the Scene of an Accident
To prove the crime of leaving the scene of an accident the state must prove:
- Defendant was the driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in property damage, (usually means over $100.00) injury (or death) to any person.
- Defendant knew, or should have known, that he/she was involved in an accident.
- Defendant knew or should have known, of the damage, injury or death.
- Defendant willfully failed to stop at the scene of the accident, or as close to the accident as possible, and remain there until he/she had given identifying information to the other driver, injured person, or police.
- Defendant willfully failed to render reasonable assistance to the inured. This means not taking steps to aid the person or minimize the amount of damage.