LEAVING THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT
To prove the crime of leaving the scene of an accident the state must prove:
1. Defendant was the driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in property damage, (usually means over $100.00) injury (or death) to any person.
2. Defendant knew, or should have known, that he/she was involved in an accident.
3. Defendant knew or should have known, of the damage, injury or death.
4. Defendant willfully failed to stop at the scene of the accident, or as close to the accident as possible, and remain there until he/she had given identifying information to the other driver, injured person, or police.
5. Defendant willfully failed to render reasonable assistance to the inured. This means not taking steps to aid the person or minimize the amount of damage.